Home FAQ
 
 
 
 
         
 
 
  Mariposa: " Mother of Counties"

 
 

Courthouse Square

 
       
 

 

 

 

1.
Mariposa County Courthouse ( 5088 Bullion St.) This building was built in 1854 on land donated by John C. Fremont. It cost $9,300 to build. Some of the timbers used in the construction came from an area called "Logtown" located on the west side of the Cemetery. In 1866, the Cupola and Clock were added. The Courthouse is the oldest courthouse still in use today west of the Rocky Mountains.
2.
George Lind House ( 5039 Bullion St.) Built in 1897. George Lind served as the County Treasurer from 1926 to 1934.
3.
Milburn House ( 5091 Bullion St.) Thomas Lind built this house in 1898. It later became the home of Louis T. Milburn and his wife, Eilleen McGuire. Louis Milburn was born in Mariposa in 1893 and was elected as the youngest District Attorney in the State at the age of 25. He served in that position until his death in 1946. Louis Milburn was also the first Director of Veterans Services for Mariposa County

4.
Henry Garber Jr. House ( 5101 Bullion St.) Built for Henry Jr. and wife, Louise Leidig, in 1896. They had an elevated walkway constructed between the two Garber houses
5.
Henry Garber Sr. House (Built around 1861 – 5101 Bullion St.) Henry Garber Sr. was a teamster and had a livery stable in town that continued business into the age of automobiles
6.
Thorn House (Law Offices— 5092 Jones St.) This house was originally located at the Whitlock Mine and was the home of the mine superintendent. It was taken down board by board and brought to this site by the Thorn Family in 1902/03. It is over 100 years old. May Kleiman, great-granddaughter of Col. Thorn, lived in this house until her death in 1991.
7.
Mariposa Gazette - Published weekly since 1855. ( 5081 Jones St.) The Mariposa Gazette was located on corner of Bullion and 6th Street. It barely survived the 1866 Fire. The Gazette was then moved across the street from the Courthouse into the "Sons of Temperance Hall.” The hall was moved in from the Whitlock area. The building is now located at the Mariposa History Center. Other Newspapers that served Mariposa include ; The Democrat, The Free Press, Mariposa Mail, the Star, Mariposa Miner, Poison Oak and Tribune
8.
Trabucco/Campbell House ( 5074 Jones St.) Built in 1901 for Joseph J. Trabucco and his wife, Edith Ridgeway. J. J. Trabucco was County D. A. from 1894 to 1902. He was elected Superior Court Judge in 1903 and served until his death in December of 1938. He was renowned for never having any of his court decisions overturned. The house is presently owned by the Campbell family who owned the Mariposa Gazette for many years.
9.
Adair House ( 5073 Jones St.) This house was built in 1896 for Joseph Adair. In 1900, he deeded the property to his wife, Annie Kerrins, “…In consideration of Love and Affection from the party of the 2 nd part to the party of the 1 st part...”. Joseph Adair was a schoolteacher, owner of the Mariposa Gazette (1895-1900) and was elected the District Attorney from 1892 to 1900 when they moved to Los Angeles. Joseph’s father, James Adair, came to Mariposa with John C. Fremont . He was the Superintendent of Mines in Mariposa County for Fremont. This house was also the home of Sheriff John J. Castagentto and his wife, Alta Prouty. John Castagnetto was Mariposa County Sheriff from 1927 to 1944. Alta Castagentto worked as a jail matron for Mariposa and several female inmates were housed at their residence
10.
Tiscornia & Ivers Mariposa Funeral Home ( 4918 9 th St.) Built by Frank Greeley for George Tiscornia in 1935. The addition was added in 1937. In 2000, the chapel was named for Winfred Williams for his dedication and community involvement



   
 
 
   
     

GIVE US FEEDBACK: How Could We Improve This Website?
Click Here To Email Our Webmaster

 
 

© 2004 - Superior Court of California